More and more men are coming in to see me for cosmetic surgery procedures, and they’re doing it for the same reasons that women are:
- To look as good as they feel
- To improve features of their bodies that they don’t like
- To feel competitive in their workplace
- To reverse age-related changes
- To fix the after effects of significant weight loss
- To feel better in their skin
Plastic surgery can help men feel empowered and proud of their appearance. Beyond cosmetic enhancement, cosmetic surgery can correct imperfections or injuries, improving both function and self-confidence.
Fortunately for all of us, society has become more accepting of plastic surgery in general, and men have come to understand that cosmetic changes are simply another form of self-improvement. Here are the top procedures U.S. men are seeking out:
- Liposuction: Aging men tend to accumulate fat in areas that often resist diet and exercise—the abdomen, the “love handles” on the flanks, the breast area (a condition called gynecomastia, or male enlarged breasts), and in the neck and chin
- Male breast reduction: Liposuction alone can often correct gynecomastia, but sometimes surgery is needed to remove fibrous tissue if the breasts are large
- BOTOX: This minimally invasive procedure has become highly popular with men. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the number of men having BOTOX treatments has increased by 397% between 2000 and 2017!
- Rhinoplasty: Many men want to fix their noses because it can be a subtle yet powerful difference in their appearance. I had rhinoplasty myself many years ago and still believe it was the best decision I’ve ever made for myself
- Blepharoplasty: Upper and lower eyelid surgery can fix eyes that look tired and aged, helping men look more energetic, young, and rested. This procedure is popular with older, active men whose coworkers are much younger than they are
When it comes to cosmetic surgery, men and women are not created equal: there are obvious physical differences, as well as psychological ones, so make sure your plastic surgeon has a lot of experience treating male patients. Male plastic surgery comprises a significant portion of my practice. I’m especially passionate about performing breast reduction surgery to help over-endowed teenagers—particularly boys—who are teased and bullied. Breast reduction surgery can truly change their lives. One 15-year-old boy patient of mine transformed from being introverted, shy, and depressed to being an outgoing, engaged, and energetic kid. Helping kids like him is so satisfying for me, and is truly transformative for them – having not only a physical impact, but a profound psychological one as well – changing their lives for the better.
Men, you deserve to look and feel the way you want to look and feel! Taking charge and making a change for yourself is the very definition of being a strong, capable man.